Budget 2024 :The proposed rooftop solarisation scheme, announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi last month, includes a provision for free electricity up to 300 units every month, as stated by Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman during her budget speech on Thursday. Also Read : ZEEL Shareholders’ Bold Move: Jaw-Dropping Twist in $10B Sony Merger Drama! Uncover the Shocking Details Now!
The Rooftop Solarisation and Free Electricity initiative, the first decision made by PM Modi after the Ram Temple ceremony, was unveiled on January 22, a day following the ceremony. Here are the key details of the scheme:
- The scheme falls under the Pradhan Mantri Suryodaya Yojana, benefiting approximately 10 million households by enabling them to sell surplus electricity to DISCOMS.
- Sitharaman highlighted in her speech that the project is anticipated to save these households between ₹15,000 and ₹18,000 annually.
- The state-run Rural Electrification Corporation (REC) Limited is designated as the nodal agency for the project.
- Pradhan Mantri Suryodaya Yojana aims to provide electricity to low and middle-income families through rooftop solar installations.
- The rooftop installation involves fixing solar photovoltaic (PV) panels on buildings, homes, or residential properties.